17 Good Things in 2017
Well this year was a hellmouth masquerading as an apocalypse, wasn't it?
I'm still holding my breath waiting for what tragic nightmare is going to take place before 2017 actually closes (although yay Doug Jones!), but December is also my favorite time to reflect on the good in my life over the past twelve months.
So in honor of that, here's my good things in 2017 GIFsticle!
1. I DJ'd Girl Power Hour for CHIRP Radio every Tuesday morning from 8-9am CT, and now we're on terrestrial airwaves at 107.1FM.
2. I wrote a dissertation proposal, defended it to a committee of scholars I admire, and advanced to ABD status.
3. I stopped wearing a bra (for the most part) and embraced my asymmetric body.
4. I went to Berlin for a week, California for two weeks, New York for another week, and a host of other places in between.
5. I built community with more brilliant, inspiring women in Chicago (and beyond) than I could have imagined a year ago.
6. I helped host an International Women's Day strike event that garnered the attention of a hundred or so women and the local TV news.
7. I launched a podcast interviewing my fave creative women entrepreneurs in the city and hosted a wrap party panel celebrating my work and their success.
8. I interviewed a number of my very favorite bands for CHIRP Radio.
9. I tabled at Chicago Zine Fest with Lady Parts Zine and made one of my favorite zine's yet for a friend's art exhibition.
10. I ran a 10k even though I didn't really think I could run anymore.
11. I saw the solar eclipse with the closest woman to a sister I'll ever have.
12. I thought a lot about my body and then took about a million selfies for self-care and got new headshots taken to remind myself that I'm a babe at any size.
13. I bought a new car -- by myself, for myself.
14. I developed some kick-ass personal policies that saved me a lot of emotional labor.
15. I wrote fifty feminist mantras and published a book of them.
16. I took care of myself in real, valuable, and important ways.
17. I let other people take care of me.
What's one (or 17) good thing(s) that happened in your lives this year? Comment below, and I'll find you a rad gif by a one of my fave femme illustrators to accompany it!