16 Good Things in 2016
In honor of this week's mantra, I'm working on refocusing my energy on the positive things that have happened in my life this year.
And how am I doing that? you may ask—why, a listicle of course! With GIFs! A gifsticle!
So, in no particular order (because hierarchies are for patriarchy, duh!), here are 16 good things that happened in my world in 2016 and gifs to go with them.
1) I hired a personal trainer and got a lot stronger without it being about losing weight or counting calories or any comparative #fitspo energy.
2) I traveled to Rome, London, and Peru and got to see the Colosseum, Big Ben, and Machu Picchu.
3) I listened to a ton of girl power pop. New music from Rihanna, Beyoncé, Ariana Grande, and Solange ruled the airwaves this year and helped bring female perspectives (especially woc!) to the front and center of pop culture.
4) I gave up my reliance on take-out and learned how to cook; I started an amazing Sunday Dinner tradition with my best friend that I look forward to every week.
5) I launched this blog and began writing regularly. I remembered how important it is to listen to that voice inside of me that loves words more than most other things.
6) I spent a lot of time in bed with the coolest cat around, and I didn't feel bad about a second of it.
7) I interviewed a ton of rad bands for CHIRP Radio.
8) I spent a week in Miami with one of my fave babes and another week in California with two of my mains.
9) I met a few amazing women who are helping me expand my circles and find my place in Chicago.
10) As a result of those women (and a few long-term pals here), Chicago has finally started to feel like home.
11) I watched all of Grey's Anatomy and channeled as much Christina Yang energy as I could muster.
12) I took a last-minute trip to Portland to visit my college roommate, and she inspired me to get my finances together and work on a new business venture.
13) I paid off $3000 in credit card debt and got myself back to a debt-free existence!
14) I met a cute boy with a nice beard and a cool bike who likes to cook food and go to shows with me.
15) I learned to see all the good around me.
16) I started learning to let go of everything else.
What's one good thing (or sixteen good things) that happened in your life in 2016, friends?
I want to hear all about them.