Feminist Mantra Monday 45: Comfort Yourself
Last week was rough, and I endlessly appreciate the support of friends and community in getting through it. Sometimes, though, it's important that we can calm and comfort ourselves, that we can learn to cry on our own from time to time and feel nurtured and whole again.
This week's feminist mantra is a reminder to hold on to self-care routines and rituals that heal your spirit. Building an intimate self-love practice is vital for survival, and it will make you better prepared to love others when they need to be comforted in turn.
So here are some of my favorite self-comfort tools:
- Loose-leaf tea brewed slowly
- Mary Oliver poems
- Bouquets with eucalyptus and lavender
- New nail polish
- Long walks that linger
- Ice cream 🍦
And here are a few particularly feminist things I do for comfort:
- copy Audre Lorde essays into my journal
- listen to old Patti Smith albums
- take self-portraits, particularly of my body parts I'm learning to love